Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Surrounded By Beauty

Today on my way back from the doctor's office, I did some soul searching.  Mainly, did I want to continue to write during this tumultuous phase in my life, and second, why do I write in the first place?  What am I trying to accomplish?  Here's what I've come away with.  It's all about the beauty.  Every aspect in my life is about creating beauty.  Whether it be through singing, painting, making jewelry (shameless plug here... http://www.flowerbands.webs.com/) decorating, or writing, I like to create and surround myself with beauty.

I thought about every piece of fiction I've written from picture books to short stories to full length novels, and the one common string that ties them all together is the beautiful heartfelt feeling you get when you read them.  I've been told in the past I'm a "vanilla" writer, and of course my overachieving personality tried to lay claim that my writing can't be labeled like that.  That I could write anything I put my mind to.  However, I have to admit, if your heart's not in the writing, how good would it really be?  So a vanilla writer I am.  Someone whose stories are "nice."  I'm okay with that.  Personally, I like nice stories.  Stories that have you coming away with a smile on your face and a satisfied feeling in your heart.  Stories with characters who are sweet and caring, but either underestimated or misunderstood.  Where the reader feels for them right from the getgo and are rooting for them the entire journey.  I like to write this way because honestly, I have enough chaos and disappointments in my life.  I want to take my characters in a completely different direction, where they actually have hope and a happy ending.  It's a way for me to live through them - to avoid reality.

So back to the physical aspect of writing.  Unfortunately, due to "life unexpected" I may write less, blog less, dream less...  But I will definitely get on here when I can for my whole 5 followers ;) and Tweet about it when I do.

Now let me ask you this:  What do you try to accomplish with your writing?  Is there a message you're trying to send?  Or do you write for the pure enjoyment of storytelling?

3 comments:

  1. Writing is pure escape for me. I don't write for any other reason than that.

    Life always throws the unexpected at us--I hope you come through this phase of it inspired and strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so too, Sarah. I can tell you one thing, all day I've had crazy storylines popping into my head. I should probably write them down before I forget them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is great. You should be proud of what you write! And it's good that you know why you're writing. I wish you the best of luck in moving forward and finding time to continue. It can be so hard.

    ReplyDelete