Thursday, April 28, 2011

Reconnecting With Your Inner Teen

As adult YA writers we struggle with getting teenage voice, logic, and emotion just right. Obviously, we're not teens anymore. Personally, I'm in my mid-30s. (I really didn't like typing that.) Our days are spent changing diapers, taxi-ing around kids, and helping with homework. Responsibility takes all the fun out of life, doesn't it? And it makes it near impossible to remember what it was like before careers, kids, and bills got in the way. I found a way though, quite by accident.

We have a brand new local radio station that plays 90's music. If you're in my age range, then the 90s was your glory decade. A decade you looked hot, felt great, and thought you ruled the world. The teenage years. For me, I graduated H.S. in '94 so 90s music really captured everything from my early uncomfortable years as a Freshman all the way up through college and to my wedding in '99. An awesome decade! Anyway, I turned the station on, looking to reminisce a bit, and BAM! Memories flooded my head I hadn't thought about in years. But it wasn't only memories. It was smells, tastes, touch, emotions! A pure goldmine for the YA writer.

A song would come on, bringing me back to a night when I lied in bed next to my friend at a sleepover. She couldn't sleep without the radio on and I couldn't sleep with it on. We'd compromised and kept it low. I remember holding the chunky cordless phone close to my ear as I talked to Brandon, a boy I had a major crush on and who'd shown interest in me that afternoon. We talked the entire night as I stared at the glow-in-the-dark stars on my friend's ceiling and the low murmur of the radio filled in any awkward silences. Even writing this I can feel the lightness in my heart and excitement in my gut that I'd felt that night. And then the next morning, trudging through the mall with sand in my eyes because I'd pulled an all-nighter. (Little did I know it was a glimpse into what it's like having a newborn!)

Anyway, as each song came on, it was like a chisel breaking away the rock and revealing the gold. The gold that is my very own teenage years, and all the wonderful emotions and drama that come with them. All the tools we need to create realistic teenage emotion is right inside us. We just have to break through all the responsiblity rock we've built around it over the years.

I don't know if music can help release your inner teen. But it's definitely worth a try. If you don't have a 90s station in your listening area, mine has online streaming. Have a listen and see what gold you can find inside!

http://1057crushfm.com/

5 comments:

  1. Sweet post, Julie, though I won't even say what my equivalent decade was. Suffice to say, 90's music doesn't even feel like oldies music to me yet. It feels like yesterday. Your perception of time passage tends to accelerate the older you get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I won't ask. ;) The 90s seem like yesterday to me too, although my body says otherwise. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 90s were like that for me as well. I listen to the same bands now, but their more recent music. It's an interesting idea, to try to do a sort of state-dependent memory thing, where you access your teen self by listening to the music you did when you were that age. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's a cool experience! Both when it happened and when you remembered it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle -Yup it's one of many cool experiences I have locked away. :)
    Sarah - I think it goes with the idea of association. Like if someone were to hear their wedding song come on they'd feel warm and tingly inside and be brought right back to the dance floor again with their groom. Same concept, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete