Monday, May 2, 2011

I'm In Love With a Query Letter!

...and alas, it is not my own. I was fishing around on Janet Reid's Query Shark site (no pun intended) and found a query that blew my mind with its straightforwardness and simplicity. It's the kind of query that makes me wish I were a literary agent so that I may see such a gem come into my inbox.

************************
Dear QueryShark:

One week ago, Claire's cousin, Dinah, slit her wrists.

Five days ago, Claire found Dinah's diary and discovered why.

Three days ago, Claire stopped crying and came up with a plan.

Two days ago, she ditched her piercings and bleached the black dye from her hair.

Yesterday, knee socks and uniform plaid became a predator's camouflage.

Today, she'll find the boy who broke Dinah.

By tomorrow, he'll wish he was dead.

Premeditated is a 60,000 word contemporary YA novel. Chapters or a synopsis are available on request.

*************************

This person broke all the rules and managed to come up with the best query I've ever read. Heck, she has the language for her book trailer already done! I think the problem a lot of people have when writing queries is not knowing how much "backstory" to include. My answer: Just enough. You've got to tempt agents with the most interesting (and hopefully, main) parts of your novel. The actual meat of the book - not the dressings. Keep it minimal, yet spike their curiosity. I know after reading this kicka@@ query, I want to know what this MC has in store for the boy and what he did to Dinah to make her commit suicide in the first place. No, scratch that, I need to know! So if you happen to be the writer of this awesome query letter, leave a comment. You're my query hero. :)

Does anyone else have query tips they'd like to share?

2 comments:

  1. Omigod, this is awesome. How did he/she do with Madame Shark? I wish I could be this straightforward. Great post. Oh, and you should turn on your email link inside your settings that way we know when you answer your comments. Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She loved it too. The blog entry was from 12/31 if you want to check it out. Oh, and I've searched for the email link setting and I can't find it. Can you email me with instructions? Pretty please? :)

    ReplyDelete