Thursday, June 16, 2011

Puzzle Pieces

WARNING: I'm feeling philosophical today.

Ever since I read Animal Farm in 9th grade I've been a lover of analogies. The idea of having a story within a story is both abstract and efficient. I often find myself creating analogies for tough situations in my life or for life in general. I think it's my brain's way to cope with difficulty, to try to make sense of something non-sensical. I have a favorite analogy I'll share with you. (Okay, so I just made it up this morning while drying my hair, but it has quickly become a favorite.)

Our life is one giant puzzle that we build piece by piece. You're given just a couple puzzle pieces at birth - your family members. They are the corners that act as a base for what will eventually become a beautiful portrait of your life. As you grow older, form relationships, and start careers, you obtain more puzzle pieces. Some will fit perfectly like your childhood best friend who can finish your sentences for you. Others may seem like they fit but when you take a closer look, the end is just a tad smaller than the hole. This is akin to the friend who talks behind your back or a job that doesn't turn out the way you'd thought it would. You then discard the puzzle piece and try another.

Then there's the torn puzzle pieces. They fit in the spot perfectly and you only have one of them but they don't look too pretty. This could be the black sheep in your family or a child with a disability. In my life, my oldest son is my torn puzzle piece. He has ADHD with emotional issues. It's not like I could say "Sorry, we want to give him back and get a newer piece." You only get one and you have to deal with it. But as you gaze at your puzzle, you begin to get used to the torn piece. You notice the beauty in its uniqueness and how it stands out from the rest of the pieces. It makes your puzzle authentic and real. Without it, you realize, it would be almost too perfect. Life is never perfect.

There's also the puzzle pieces that don't fit right on the first try like a rocky marriage or a writing dream. It looks like it should fit, but it doesn't. Instead of discarding the piece completely and throwing your dreams of happiness out the window, you can try rotating it, or trying something different.

And of course, as always happens with puzzles, the kids may get into it and take it apart or someone could bump the table, sending the pieces clattering to the floor. This is equivalent to tragic life events - illness, divorce, job loss, death. In these crises, you feel like your world has crumbled. Hopelessness sets in and you're overwhelmed, just as if the puzzle you'd spent a week working on lies in pieces on the floor. The only thing to do is to pick up the pieces one by one as you get your life back in order. Now when you hear someone's "picking up the pieces" you can visualize it literally!

If you could imagine the puzzle that is your life, how do you think it would look right now? Have you taken advantage of every opportunity and relationship brought to you to help build your puzzle? Have you rotated your pieces before discarding them? And do you have any torn pieces that you've discovered the beauty in? :)

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I love, love this analogy! So beautiful. And right now I can relate to the "torn piece". My middle child has severe anxiety and it's a battle 24/7. Thanks for sharing and stopping by my blog! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Katie. :) The analogy was actually inspired by my son, and my daily struggles with him. It is very difficult, but God gave us these children for a reason...at least that's what I keep telling myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really beautiful, and I'm lame for not reading it earlier! I think I have a lot of missing pieces right now, and they are out there just waiting for me to discover them. Sometimes I get really impatient. Sometimes I think I lose pieces, and sometimes I fear that I'll never get my puzzle put back together when it gets all messed up.

    My favorite thing in life - discovering a new piece and seeing that it fits perfectly.

    My worst thing in life - having to set pieces aside that don't fit anymore. I never throw them away, though, in hopes they'll find a home again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, you're not lame. You were sick! I think it's wonderful that you don't throw your pieces away. It shows you don't give up on people or situations. Very admirable. :)

    ReplyDelete