Friday, June 3, 2011

The Challenge with Critiques

Yesterday, I started the tedious task of revisiting my first completed manuscript, an adult paranormal romance. After rewriting the first 4 pages (and spending 15 mins. alone on the first paragraph!) I realized this is going to call for a complete rewrite. I’m not talking words here and there, rounding out characters, or plugging up plot holes. I’m talking about major changes. It was amazing to see how my writing has improved over the past 2 years, and as a friend pointed out, the fact that I can see it. I can’t take all the credit though. I truly believe my improvement has come from co-writing, beta reading, and just reading in general. I’m very excited to sink my teeth into this manuscript, rip it to shreds, and put it back together again piece by piece. Although I’m a little scared too.

Now, along with rewrites, come critiques. One of my writing friends says she likes a “cheerleader” during first drafts. Just someone to keep her motivated and fuel her excitement in her project. I’m not sure if that works for me in this instance, just because it is a rewrite. I may need someone to be honest with me and outright tell me if it’s not working for them. This is always hard to hear, but unfortunately, necessary. One person I can always count on to do this is my mother. Ah, my mother. A woman who doesn’t need to say a word and you can read what she’s thinking all over her face. She makes what I call a “stinkface” when she doesn’t like something. It’s where she wrinkles her nose and scrunches up her face as if she’s just smelled something putrid. A beautiful sight I assure you.

Last night, I got the stinkface. Mind you, I don’t, I mean DON’T, let her read my stuff just for that reason alone. One look at that wrinkled up face and my confidence sinks into the floor. But when she came back from tutoring my son, I was in the middle of sending off the first 4 pages to my critique partner. And she saw it.

“You’re working on that one again, huh?” she says.

*Internally groaning* “Yes.”

Her eyes pass over the first paragraph at lightning speed and she says, “Why is the bar so packed? I’ve gone to lots of bars where it’s quiet and a couple people are just shooting darts.”

My heart accelerates. She couldn’t even get past the first paragraph!

“Is there a band? Bands usually pack bars with people.”

A band? No, there’s no freakin’ band in my story. “No, Mom, there’s no band.” I minimize my email before she does any more “damage” to my beloved words. Then grudgingly, I realize she has a point. Why was it so packed? And on a Wednesday, no less. I store the issue in the back of my mind to reflect on later.

This morning, as I was blow drying my hair (when I get lots of my inspiration), it hit me. A band! Yes! I could totally have a band, and not only that, but the hero could be the lead singer! I’m practically jumping up and down at this point. Because you see, I’ve always thought my plot was a little weak. Hero and heroine (Best Man and Maid of Honor) have to plan a Jack and Jill bridal shower when they can’t stand each other. But what if it’s not planning a bridal shower, but singing the song for the first dance at the wedding? Talk about conflict. Who can sing a love song with someone they hate? And the practices? Can’t you just imagine the tension I could create?

This isn’t the first time my mom has led me into other directions with my work. The last time all she did was watch my book trailer and I got the stinkface. The story involved a poor family, trying to survive after the father dies.

“They collect cans to make money? That’s silly,” she says. “Don’t you remember Katie who lived up the street from us in the trailer?”

I nodded, slightly remembering the waif thin blonde who could be a little annoying at times.

“She used to go door to door, asking to do yard work. She’d rake leaves for money. You should have your character do that instead.”

My guard instantly went up and I was like, I don’t want to change it! But after she left I realized she was right. Collecting cans alone was a little silly. So the yard work was added.

Do you have a beta in your life who just always seems to be right even though it stings at first? How do you sort through critiques and determine what’s a keeper and what’s a dumper?

2 comments:

  1. Ah, interesting post! I only need alpha (cheerleader) readers when I'm on my very, very first draft. Those readers don't work on subsequent drafts because I have to think more critically at that point.

    As I write more and more, I rely on my own gut instinct most of all. There are some things not worth changing when you get feedback or you'd have to rewrite the entire book. It's like a pick your battle type of thing because I rewrite and revise and tweak a book for 25 years if I let myself. I'm off to critique those pages of yours now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, now you know Jenna's secret! LOL. Oh well, it might be better that way. Then you can tell me whether you like the duet or the shower best. :)

    I've received a rewrite type critique back before. It was on this MS. Maybe I'll revisit it since I'm rewriting it anyway. Looking forward to your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete