Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Can You Be My Friend?

You know a book is engaging and the characters realistc when you find yourself wanting to jump into the story as another friend, or at the very least, a third cousin. I'm beta reading a YA right now from the multi-talented Claire Gillian, and I keep thinking of her characters long after I stop reading. I want to be their friend. It's so odd to think that and a little embarrassing to say it aloud. But I do. I want them to cry on my shoulder, to confide in me, and fetch me an apple (Claire, you'll get this when you read my comments. LOL).

Does anyone else ever get this feeling? Like you wish you could be friends with the characters? Or that they were real people you could invite over your house to just hang out? And it doesn't even have to be just book characters. A few years ago, I so wished I could be one of the "P" sisters in Charmed.




Come on, I can't be the only one. 'Fess up. :)


3 comments:

  1. Aww, that's such a nice compliment, Julie. Thank you. I'm rather fond of those crazy kids myself. Don't know if you know this, but I have my visions of what they look like over at Iris' blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's not quite the same, but I tend to insert myself into the stories I read. Sometimes it's as one of the characters, sometimes as an extra...so yeah, I confess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iris/Claire :) - I took a peek, and it's exactly as I imagined them to look!

    Michelle - Thanks for 'fessing. :) I don't look so crazy now.

    ReplyDelete